Friday, July 2, 2010

Glass, Mixed media works


Through the glass where the light bends at the cracks, the colors and gestures float underneath. The cracks like a wound, tearing the heart and the peace. It was an accident, and I realized that the glass is as fragile as life. I painted behind and on the glass, the fragile ground. The colored ink went through the cracks and blended with the image underneath . It was interesting to see how they blended into each other.

 What fascinates me the most is not only its transparency, but the uncertain cracks. It combines beauty with violence, two things you wouldn’t instinctively expect to find together. Cracking seems a metaphor for life itself. We live out our lives amidst beauty and violence. We strive for peace at our heart but scream over unfairness.

My recent paintings with the cracking glass are to discover and explore a new form for painting
In the last few years, I have been searching for a new way to express my inner thoughts through my creation. I try to seek the breakthrough and to move beyond the previous creation pattern. During the creative process of long-term experimentation and practice, I gradually find out I should not just tight up with the traditional materials or forms. I found out the core ideology of Western Contemporary art is like the spiritual essence of traditional Chinese art, as art is concerned with the human being’s existence and spiritual pursuit. I feel I can’t regard the Eastern and the Western art as opposites.

Turning from discovering the diversity of possibilities to recognizing the uniqueness of necessity is the key point for me to really enter the new art world, and thus the goal of my creative work became clear. The experiments with the new concept to the new materials and new forms in painting led to new achievements in my works. Painting through the cracking glass or torn fabric, I obtained new understanding of the aspect of the ‘canvas.’ It creates a new visual effect, a multiple levels in painting space.

During my early art career, I learned the unrestrained and spontaneous Chinese calligraphy, and especially inspired by Monk Huai Su’s cursive style in Tang Dynasty. His spontaneous exuberance of the cursive script, strokes, and marks formed the complex pictures of abstract beauty. Through calligraphy, I can express my personal thoughts, morals, innermost sentiments, and the unrestrained freedom. In the mean while, my early experiences with the training of Freud’s consciousness theory also affect my practice and creation. In my recent works, I let the paint flows out of the brushes like notes of music, floating with cadence in a stream of intertwined rhythm and melody. My art is by no means a simple assembly of Eastern techniques, conceptions and a Western art form. It is more about expressing my inner thoughts through my own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages